This week is a Top Ten Books to Read if your Book Club Likes… YA Contemporary. I could literally talk about this for days, as this is one of my favorite genres to read. So to make this list a little easier to make, I decided to pick books with less than 10,000 Goodreads ratings to it. To maybe show you guys some books you haven’t heard of. Let’s get started!
1. The Revenge Playbook by Rachael Allen – Talk about an underappreciated book. If you like books with strong female friendships this is the book for you. It’s about 4 very different girls who work together on their revenge plan towards the football team. It’s very light on the romance (almost nonexistent), but it was refreshing to read a book without it as this is very rare. I love this book so much. I wish more people would try this.
2. The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne – I didn’t expect much from this book to be quite honest. But the characters managed to suck me completely into the story, they were so realistic. This is about a girl named Kate who, when her mother dies, discovers her father is a senator who’s planning to run for president as the Republican candidate.
3. The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler – This follows the story of Elyse, a girl from Tobago who decides to go to Atargatis Cove after an accident that damages her voice permanently. This is filled with female empowerment, amazingly diverse characters, and a cute romance.
4. Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross – Fabulous female protagonist, check. Swoony love interest, check. Amazing family dynamics, check. This basically follows Annie’s life when her father decides to accept a job as the new pitching coach for an MLB team.
5. Play On (Lewis Creek #1) by Michelle Smith – Another very underappreciated book. The male lead, baseball player Austin, is so such a dork, something I wasn’t expecting considering he’s an athlete. There’s never any unnecessary drama, slut-shaming, and it’s told completely in Austin’s POV. Male POV, yay!
6. The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas – This book was honestly close to perfect. This basically gave me an emotional punch in the face. Rose, the MC, goes through the grieving process, and it’s so realistic. Definitely recommend!
7. Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens – This book is amazing, but it will also make you want to curl up in the fetal position and cry, so…
8. What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler – This book will, without a doubt, make you rage. This book absolutely destroyed me. Based on the Steubenville case, this book is so heartbreaking and it deserves more attention. It’s so rare to see a book handle sexual assault in such a meaningful way.
9. The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler – By far my favorite book by Sarah Ockler, it’s right up there with The Summer of Chasing Mermaids. Based on the title and cover I thought for sure this would be a light and fluffy read, I was so wrong. This was beautifully written and the family dynamics were so genuinely real.
10. Made You Up by Francesca Zappia – This book made Francesca Zappia an auto-buy author for me, it was that good. I’ve always been drawn to mental health books, so when I found out this dealt with schizophrenia, something that is almost never talked about, I was automatically intrigued. The two main characters are slightly unlikely and flawed but that just made me love them more.
Have you guys read any of these books, if so what did you think? If not is there anything here that looks like something you’d be interested in? Let me know in the comments!